Through nessMediaCenter the most different media can be presented:
- Movies (videos, TV shows, podcasts, EyeTV movies, live streams)
- PDF documents
The media center offers the following content:
- pictures, movies, DVDs, EyeTV movies, PDFs and media shows on (local) volumes
- pictures and movies from Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes and Photos App
(incl. movies, TV shows and podcasts loaded from iTunes Store)
- pictures and movies from a wide range of DLNA / UPnP media server
(DS214play, Fritz!Box NAS, Kodi, Plex, PS3, Serviio, Twonky, TVMobili)
- RSS feeds (video podcasts) and their media from Miro
(independent of the download state)
- movie trailers in various languages
- videos from internet
(e.g., Arte, Clipfish, DailyMotion, Spiegel online, YouTube,
Austrian / Dutch / German / Swiss television)
- live streams (television channels, movies, music videos, news)
- link collections with serials, music and entertainment videos
The media center offers the following functionality:
- Choice of background color, selection color and font color / size
- Activation / deactivation of content
- Ad hoc construction of playlists with pictures, movies, media shows, PDF documents
- Presentation of this playlist or single media
- iTunes control to switch playlists / tracks or start / stop playback (including informations of the current track)
- Mark of unplayed movies which are stored in iTunes (if iTunes is started).
- Automatic dimming of the screen after five minutes
- Optional automatic display of the media center at application start
- Optional EyeTV activation or computer shutdown by selection of exit
Through "Movie Info" a cover / preview and description can be set for DVDs / movies and media shows.
For unprotected movies which are stored in iTunes, the last play position will be resumed and saved on exit (if iTunes is started).
During a presentation several functions are available:
- Increase of playback speed (up to 64x)
- Endless playback
- Sorting by name, path or random
- Fullscreen switch (e.g. for different presentations on 2 displays)
- Aspect ratio (4:3; 16:9; 21:9)
- Language selection (track activation; if available)
- DVD: selection of the default language (including automatic selection of audio passthrough if available)
nessMediaCenter offers among others the following special features:
most of the internet provider content is shown by categories and can additionally be filtered by criterias like: highest rating, most viewed,
recently added, page 1 - n
the ad hoc playlist does not only allow it to select plenty of media which will be presented continuously, but also the selection of categories,
albums, collections and folders
for slower internet connections, internet content can be optionally presented in lower quality
(currently Arte, ARD-Mediathek, DailyMotion, Spiegel Online, Vimeo, YouTube)
in opposite to iPhoto, pictures and movies of (multiple) albums and events can be presented continuously - either through the iTunes control with background music (and suppressed video sound) or without background music (and with video sound)
in opposite to EyeTV, the same cover picture will be shown for EyeTV movies by "Movie Info"
EyeTV movies can easily & comfortable be started even if VLC instead of EyeTV is installed
EyeTV, iTunes or VLC can be controlled by remote control if one of these applications is frontmost
The Apple Remote Control or NV Remote II
for iPad, iPhone or iPod touch provides a simple user interface, which allows it to remote control media center or presentation very comfortable.
Some buttons offer multiple functionality by just pressing it once, holding it down or pressing it twice - for example:
holding down MENU closes the media center or presentation
holding down PLAY in a movie presentation zooms in and out of the movie
holding down RIGHT in a movie presentation increases the play rate each time (and continuously after 3 seconds),
pressing it twice jumps further forward
holding down RIGHT if a movie is paused starts slow motion
Apple Macintosh Computer (PowerPC or Intel) with the following operating systems:
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) - minimum for PPC (PowerPC)
- Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) - minimum for Intel
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) - minimum for the 64 bit & AppStore version
- Mac OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite)
- Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
- Mac OS X 10.12.4 (Sierra)
1 GB working memory minimum
6 MB free storage space on the hard disk for the nessMediaCenter software
Apple Remote Control or NV Remote II
for iPad, iPhone to use the media center optimally.
Fast internet connection to watch the internet media optimally.
to be compatible with most movie formats.
Some Macs do not include a built-in infrared (IR) receiver which is necessary to use the Apple remote control.
For Mavericks and newer it might be necessary to install QuickTime
manually. The 64 bit version can be used without (installing) QuickTime.