Through nessMediaCenter the most different media can be presented:
- Movies (videos, TV shows, podcasts, EyeTV movies, live streams)
- PDF documents
The media center offers the following content:
- pictures, DVDs, movies, media shows, PDFs and EyeTV movies on (local) volumes
- pictures or movies from Aperture, iPhoto and iTunes
(incl. movies, TV shows and podcasts loaded from iTunes Store)
- pictures and movies from a wide range of DLNA / UPnP media server
(Fritz!Box NAS, Plex, PS3, Serviio, Twonky, XBMC)
- RSS feeds (video podcasts) and their media from Miro
(independent of the download state)
- movie trailers in various languages
- cinema movies from internet
(e.g. BBC iPlayer, FreeMoviesCine, MyVideo, YouTube)
- videos from internet
(e.g., Arte, DailyMotion, LastFM, Spiegel online, YouTube,
Austrian / German / Netherlands / Swiss television)
- live streams (television channels, movies, music videos, news)
- link collections with more than 2500 cinema movies, serials, music and entertainment videos
The media center offers the following functionality:
- Choice of background color, selection color and font color / size
- Activation / deactivation of content
- Ad hoc construction of playlists with pictures, movies, PDF documents
- Presentation of this playlist or single media
- iTunes control to switch playlists / tracks or start / stop playback (including informations of the current track)
- Mark of unplayed movies which are stored in iTunes (if iTunes is started).
- Automatic dimming of the screen after five minutes
- Optional automatic display of the media center at application start
- Optional EyeTV activation or computer shutdown by selection of exit
Through "Movie Info" a cover / preview and description can be set for DVDs / movies and media shows.
For unprotected movies which are stored in iTunes, the last play position will be resumed and saved on exit (if iTunes is started).
During a presentation several functions are available:
- Endless playback
- Sorting by name, path or random
- Aspect ratio (4:3; 16:9; 21:9)
- Language selection (if available)
- DVD: selection of the default language (including automatic selection of audio passthrough if available)
nessMediaCenter offers among others the following special features:
most of the internet provider content is shown by categories and can additionally be filtered by criterias like: highest rating, most viewed,
recently added, page 1 - n
the ad hoc playlist does not only allow it to select plenty of media which will be presented continuously, but also the selection of categories,
albums and folders
for slower internet connections, internet content can be optionally presented in lower quality
(currently Arte, ARD- & ZDF-Mediathek, DailyMotion, Spiegel Online, Vimeo, YouTube)
in opposite to iPhoto, pictures and movies of (multiple) albums and events can be presented continuously - either through the iTunes control with background music (and suppressed video sound) or without background music (and with video sound)
in opposite to EyeTV, the same cover picture will be shown for EyeTV movies by "Movie Info"
EyeTV movies can easily & comfortable be started even if VLC instead of EyeTV is installed
EyeTV, iTunes or VLC can be controlled by remote control if one of these applications is frontmost
Apple Macintosh Computer (PowerPC or Intel) with the following operating systems:
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger) - minimum for PPC (PowerPC)
- Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) - minimum for Intel
- Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) - minimum for the 64 bit & AppStore version
- Mac OS X 10.10.2 (Yosemite)
1 GB working memory minimum
6 MB free storage space on the hard disk for the nessMediaCenter software
Apple Remote Control or NV Remote
for iPhone to use the media center optimally.
Fast internet connection to watch the internet media optimally.
to be compatible with most movie formats.
Some Macs do not include a built-in infrared (IR) receiver which is necessary to use the Apple remote control.
For Mavericks it might be necessary to install QuickTime
manually. The 64 bit version can be used without (installing) QuickTime.